Specifications and usability tips
- If any part of a screen displays as blank gray, instead of as white, yellow, or red,
click the "reload" button on your browser. Many screens on this site are actually made up of four
separate pages, and when the host site is very busy it seems to forget to load some of them.
- Setting a "bookmark" will not work properly if the target is an 'index page' or 'family
page' within the "A Red Island (PB) Family Tree" section. Instead, the bookmark will bring you back
to the 'index to the index' page (the page with the alphabet listed across near the top).
- If you have entered this site via a link from another site that you intend to return
to when you are done here, it is recommended that you "bookmark" this site and then return here
directly from your browser. Leaving this site via the "back" function to return to the site
where you clicked a link to get here may result in the need to click "back" many times, depending
on the number of pages accessed here during your visit.
- This site uses "frames". These may not work with older versions of browsers.
- This site is written in HTML 4.0, and so may contain commands that are not recognized by older
- These pages are formatted for display in a full-screen window. If at the
upper right corner of the window, the middle of the three boxes contains only a single square, then
click that box to get to full-screen mode.
- These pages are formatted to display in 800x600 or higher screen resolution. Displaying them
at 640x480 will require excessive scrolling, both vertically and horizontally. To check/change
this setting in Windows 9x, click "start", "settings", "control panel", "display", "settings", then
look for a slider with a number under it, such as 640x480 or 800x600. Change requires moving the
slider, and clicking "test", "apply" and "ok" while following onscreen directions.
- Sometimes the thumbnails sized photos in a Photo Gallery do not load quite correctly and do
not align neatly on the screen. Clicking the 'reload' button on your browser should correct this.
- When accessing this site via a dialup modem, the 'page refresh' setting in your browser can make a
great difference in speed when revisiting pages already viewed, such as returning to a 'photo gallery' from
viewing individual photos. If using Internet Explorer, click "tools", "internet options",
within "'temporary internet files" click "settings", within "check for newer versions of stored pages" click
"every time you start Internet Explorer". If using Netscape Navigator, click "edit", "preferences",
the "+" box left of "advanced", "cache", within "document in cache is compared to document in network"
click "once per session". If using a proprietary browser, such as CompuServe or AOL, look for
"preferences" or "settings" as a choice on one of the toolbar menus.
- This site currently contains 18,755 files, of which 16,801 are html, and 133,772 internal links.
copyright © 2010 by Brian Hennessey
all rights reserved